Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The "Food and Cooking" Thread

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The "Food and Cooking" Thread Empty The "Food and Cooking" Thread Sat May 22, 2010 12:53 pm

Jeremy

Jeremy
I am beloved of the Guac!

I (along with several others here, I'd imagine) love to cook, and appreciate food greatly. So here is a thread to talk about favourite foods, recipes and cuisines of the world!

Oh, and...
ANY STUPID ATTEMPTS AT GUACAMOLE MENTIONS WILL RESULT IN PUBLIC EXECUTION

2The "Food and Cooking" Thread Empty Re: The "Food and Cooking" Thread Sat May 22, 2010 1:08 pm

wagi

wagi

I shall post instructions on preparing some Brazilian dishes! Everyone should visit their local butcher and ask him to save those piggy parts he usually throws away!

3The "Food and Cooking" Thread Empty Re: The "Food and Cooking" Thread Wed May 26, 2010 1:39 pm

Jeremy

Jeremy

This evening, I cooked a rather nice chicken and pasta dish for myself.

(For vegetarians, the chicken can easily be removed, perhaps adding a few more vegetables to the mix instead.)

Quantities can be judged to personal preference.

1. Begin to cook small chunks of chicken in a pan. (med-high heat)

2. When white on both sides, add chopped red onion and (tinned) chopped tomatoes. (If using fresh tomatoes, be sure to add some form of liquid too!)

3. Stir well until the chicken and onions are coated in tomato.

4. Add Basil, Oregano and salt. Stir in a leave to reduce on low heat.

5. Boil some water. (You may want to start this around when stirring the chicken)

6. Add fresh Tagliatelle to the boiling water. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes less than instructed.

7. When 'finished' add the pasta to your other pan. This is where liquid content is crucial, as the pasta will burn otherwise. Keep the pan at a very low heat.

8. Stir together for about 1 minute, then serve, adding extra salt or grated parmesan if preferred.

9. Eat. Enjoy. SmileThumbs Up

4The "Food and Cooking" Thread Empty Re: The "Food and Cooking" Thread Wed May 26, 2010 2:16 pm

wagi

wagi

Brazilians don't eat what Americans refer to as 'salsa' (Guac's lowly cousin), instead they prefer 'Vinagrete', which is often served with grilled meats or pastels, a fried pasta pocket filled with meats and cheeses.

There are different varieties of Vinagrete - in Rio they often use red and green peppers, other places add chopped cucumber or green onions, but here in São Paulo we usually find a simpler version.

One large onion, finely chopped
One large tomato, finely chopped (green tomatoes work fine as well!)
One bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste

Combine all the ingredients and then add the salt last. Some use less onion, but we like a 1-to-1 ratio of onion and tomato.

On a side note avocado's here are HUGE, often a foot long or more. We sometimes get the smaller ones in the store, but they are usually imported. Guacamole is pretty much unknown here as well, unless you eat at a Mexican restaurant, of which there's only a few. Instead avocados are eaten as a fruit - with sugar!

I made guacamole here once - I had enough to last a week. I never made it again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum